Poor Mental Health or Abnormal Behavior:
- Is fearful, anxious, depressed, submissive, tense, or nervous/paranoid.
- Exhibits unusually fearful or anxious behavior.
- Avoids eye contact.
Poor Physical Health:
- Malnourished, signs of fatigue, scarring, cigarette burns, tattooing/branding, etc.
- Shows signs of physical and/or sexual abuse, physical restraint, and/or confinement.
Lack of Control:
- Has few or no personal possessions.
- Lacks any form of identification.
- Is not allowed or able to speak for themselves (a third party may insist on being present).
- Claims of just visiting and inability to clarify where he/she is staying/address.
- Lack of knowledge of whereabouts and/or of what city he/she is in.
- Loss of sense of time.
- Has numerous inconsistencies in his/her story.
How Traffickers Control Their Victims:
Force: rape, beatings, and confinement.
Mind alterations: alcohol and drug usage.
Fraud: false offers of caring, marriage, employment, and a better life.
Coercion: threats to harm the victim or their family and friends, debt-bondage, and psychological abuse such as brainwashing.
Traffickers routinely use casinos, truck stops, the internet, and other venues throughout the year.